Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Pennies From Peter Vol. 4: Peter Breeze Reviews Alejandro








So I watched the 'Alejandro' video.

It was weird because I actually got up a lot earlier than I normally do... It must have been my pop-culture-spidey senses tingling. I made my tea and remembered that it was Gaga’s release date for yet another mini movie for us all to drool over.


So I watched it, and I totally dig it. It’s like the dark version of “Telephone”. The imagery alone was a lot more inviting and the symbolic images and situations seemed more relevant than the ones of her making a fucking sandwich with her creepy crooked smile and lazy eye. I really liked her red nun outfit thing... Actually, the religious references in general were really well done. I thought the scenes of her in gay sex positions with her dancers were very clever. It's one thing to be a gay icon, but to write a song and film a video with a rumored “falling in love with your gay friends/fans” theme… She’s making it personal.


So after I swallowed Gaga’s huge load I couldn’t help but wish it was a simple facial instead because you know once you swallow that shit it's in your tummy and until you shit it out, her army of peroxide covered swimmers are going to be dominating whatever you ate for breakfast.


Then I leave my house and on my way to starbucks I see this big mechanical something covered in yellow caution tape (a la telephone video)…that’s when I lost it. Gaga has not only dominated the pop charts she has shimmied and step-snapped her way into everyday life.

Here’s the thing: if you were to just listen to her music on your iPod and never got the chance to see her or hear her talk then I don’t think she would be such a global super power. Her music is simple pop music. Its good, don’t get me wrong but its built like any other tune on the radio. Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, chorus, chorus, chorus until the song has burrowed itself in your brain. Gaga just has this way of taking her pop music and enhancing it with images, videos, performances and explanations that take it to a whole new level.


Ok I just watched Alejandro again.

Sometimes I watch her and I find her creativity paralyzing. As extravagant as she is Gaga is probably the most raw and genuine artist who is relevant in mainstream media. She is taking music that would otherwise be considered cheesy pop music and making it relevant. She stands for something. Can you imagine what it would be like for the other pop girls out there? Can you imagine waking up and watching Alejandro and then trying to think of a concept for your next single? Can you imagine knowing that no matter how hard you try you will never be able to puncture the giant bubble that Gaga has placed over the planet?

Poor Xtina.

 

Gaga’s presence in pop culture is essential. She is like a bulldozer that’s taking out all the other bulldozers that are cutting down our trees. She is replenishing our resources. She is not something to aspire to or compete with, she is something to be admired and celebrated! But one day Gaga is going to need someone to make out with at the opening of the MTV Awards and you KNOW I’ll be wearing my finest fur and my best lipstick.

Until then…
Don’t call my name, don’t call my name...

Your friendly neighborhood superstar,
pb


Lady Gaga - Alejandro

Ace of Base - Don't Turn Around

Madonna - La Isla Bonita

Ace of Base - All That She Wants


Editor's Note: We all take inspiration from something, how we choose to represent and mold our inspiration into something new is what makes it our own.

1 comment:

  1. Oh PB, I love that you mentioned it's one thing to be a celebrated icon in the gay community but it's another to bring the realm of homosexuality onto mainstream television. The visuals are essential as it's part of the articulation our community needs. It's one thing to have us do your hair, dress you up, and take you for a pedicure on TV, but we need to bring the sexual and the political to the forefront.

    ReplyDelete